Friday, September 26, 2014

Again? REALLY?

The following is in no way associated with any particular company. This is my personal experience, and the reason why I am no longer DJing anything ever again. Actually, repeated situations that look similar to this.

So, I just received a notice through a third party from someone I worked for that the person was "less than pleased" with my services as a DJ.

You have absolutely no idea how angry I am right now.

See, this particular person wanted a bilingual DJ. I am not fluent in proper Spanish, but I was assigned this wedding by the company I contract with anyway because there wasn't anyone else available. Cool.

Then I find out that this person wants everything done in English and Spanish. Then I find out that she wants specialized international music from Central America. Which basically means that I was forced to spend over 50 dollars on music to make sure that this went off without a problem. Then I spent over 8 hours over 3 days on the phone with this particular person. Then I spent an entire day writing and translating everything I needed to say as well as going over it to an insane amount to prepare. I had to pay for and download special music for her ceremony as well as using equipment they didn't pay for to make everything work. Then there was a ridiculous amount of driving involved. Then there was the fact that any time something had to be said spontaneously, it was almost impossible.

There were at least 5 different Spanish cultures at this wedding, as well as white people, black people, and who-knows-what-else. Ever try to play Mozart's "A Little Night Music"  as a dance song? That's what it's like from culture-to-culture in the Spanish community.

I also offered to let her use my personal cell phone to Skype with the groom's father in his home country because he wasn't able to get a visa to come to the wedding. I also offered to use one of my small, inexpensive cameras to video the ceremony just so that she could have it to show the groom's father at a later date. I also listened to this chick go bridezilla for the planning process, and heard nothing but bad things about her from EVERYONE else who was working that wedding. Caterers, planners, even the equipment rental people had something to say. I said nothing, as I am told to do by the people who run everything. (Yes, after years of mistakes on this one, I finally learned my lesson.)

No one has any idea the stress I went through for an entire week about this wedding. There was worry that damn near caused panic attacks, points when I felt like breaking down crying, and having to put my entire life on hold for 5 days because of a wedding. I busted my ass to make sure this thing went off as well as it could. I missed class because I had to prepare for it and make sure everything was good.

I got sucked in by another client and allowed them to make me care about them. After everything I did to create a comfortable environment for them, after all the money I spent, after the lies told to me after the wedding from the bride's mouth and the groom's mouth, and the wedding party's mouth, and the bride's father's mouth, I find out she was "less than pleased."

Now, here's the truth: I knew for a fact, before this wedding even happened, that she was going to complain NO MATTER THE OUTCOME. I knew because she was way too picky about everything. She never actually made up her mind about what songs she wanted played at her ceremony and the order she wanted them in. We discussed about 20 different possibilities, and even after that she changed her mind several times. The order of events changed several times during her reception, which happens, but not as often as it did at this wedding. Everything was basically a cluster**** from start to finish, and I was expected to be the shining light in that colossal **** storm. That's what's killing me about this whole situation. I KNEW AHEAD OF TIME. I don't know why I think that I can save situations that are doomed before I even walk into them. When I spoke to one of the owners of the company before the wedding, even he said something about how intense she was. I really should have known this was coming, but I can't even fathom this shit after all the work I put in. At the very least the client should have said NOTHING knowing how hard I worked. I was actually told that because of her rapport we were saved from a bad review. Really? Wow.

So, here's the end result: I can not DJ any more. People don't understand how personally I take this. I don't care what any one says about not taking it personally, I have pride, damnit. When you ask me to do work for you, I bust my ass to make sure everything is perfect. Just because your guests aren't dancing because they want to hear cumbia and you as the client want bachata, that's not my fault. I did everything you told me to do, and you have the AUDACITY to complain about me. I went ABOVE AND BEYOND the call of duty in this situation, and you really think that I did a bad job? Forget you. I'm done. I will never DJ another thing again for anyone ever. No clubs, no bars, no teen parties, no balls, no corporate events, no backyard barbecues, and most certainly NOT ANOTHER DAMN WEDDING EVER AGAIN. My health and well-being is not worth it any longer. I had to stop halfway through writing this to make sure I didn't have a damn panic attack over it.

So, don't ask. Because the answer will be no. And a big thank you to the client who was the straw that broke the camel's back. You may have just added five years to my life. Or taken five away. Not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment